Monday, May 17, 2010

London - Following Dreams and Chasing Ashless skies

So I finally went to London.
!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a really short 48 hour trip, but I am so glad and thankful that I went. I stayed with a friend from Shorter, Jennifer, who is a nanny for an American family in London. They were so kind and let me stay with them too!
I flew in at about six on Friday afternoon and took the tube to Abby Road. Yes, Jennifer lives three blocks down from the Abby Road. On the Tube I had a conversation with my first real London person. It was an older lady with a beautiful London accent. She gave me some advice for the tube and told me that she was born in London and she loves it.
When I arrived at the house, they were making dinner. Surprise!!! In London they eat dinner at 6:30, not 9:30. After dinner, Jennifer and I went on a walk along the river Thames. I saw Big Ben, the clock, The Tower of London, the tower bridge, the London Eye, and the Millenium Bridge. The Millenium Bridge is in Harry Potter, but when I saw Harry Potter I never thought it was real. We also went into the Tate Modern art museum and it happened to be the tenth anniversary so there were lots of cool exhibits. I have now been to 6 art museums in Europe. I am so Culture.
On Saturday I got to eat pancakes with peaches. How delightful. After taking the classic Abby Road picture we went on a walk through Regents park. It is fully beautiful with lots of birds, colorful flowers, and weeping Willow type trees. It is hard to believe that so much green space can be found inside the city.
My favorite thing that we did was go to Portabello Road market. It had antiques and jewlery. I bought two bracelets and a dress. We also bought crepes and a tomato zucchini pastry for lunch. The crepe was every bit as awesome as Paris.
Saturday afternoon, we went to see Oliver with Maya, the woman Jennifer stays with, and her daughter, Sylvia Jane. It was a very good show and a little scary. After that we all went to tea. I drank apple tea, and we also had scones, little sanwiches and an assortment of desserts. It was exactly like a tea party.
After tea, Jennifer and I walked down the swank shopping street and to Piccadily Circus and Trafalger Square, Westminster Abby and of course, Buckingham Palace. I didn´t see a guard change but we did see one walking, so that was just as exciting.
I attempted to look for platform 9 3/4, but there was work being done on the tube in preparation for the olympics and it was hard to find.
On Sunday we went to Hillsong, a huge church in a theatre. I was so glad to go because I missed church while in Tarifa, while in Paris, and I´ll be in Barcelona next week. This was the first church I´ve had in English in three months, so it was exciting for me. We went out for lunch of fish and chips, a typical English dish. It was Really good! I love the London french fries. They are so thick and potatofull!
I had to fly out of Stansted airport because flying out of Heathrow on Sunday was too expensive. It was an hour bus ride to the airport and I had my first Ryanair flight (and my only Ryan air flight). It was super on time and pretty great.
So London was my favorite trip ever, probably because I had a real family to live with and a personal tour guide! The only thing I missed was going inside Westminster Abby.
Today was a SUPERfabulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment